This year marks the 35th anniversary of the introduction of E-mu System’s iconic “SP” sampling percussion system, instruments that have become emblematic of the golden age of hip hop creativity. To mark this milestone, Dave Rossum (the co-founder of E-mu Systems) and the team at Rossum Electro-Music are creating an extremely limited number of “renovated” SP-1200s.
Beginning with an original SP-1200, Dave and the team strip it down and rebuild it into a “better-than-new” example of the classic sampling percussion system. It is then tested and calibrated to guarantee that it
provides the exact sonic character that has made the SP drum machines musical legends for 35 years (and counting).
The Rossum Electro-Music 35th Anniversary SP-1200 renovations include:
– A new 3.5″ disk drive and SD card floppy emulator integrated into the original SP-1200 software by Dave Rossum
– Manual filter cutoff frequency control sliders for the SSM 2044 analog filters for channels 1 and 2 added to the rear panel
– A new metal chassis
– A new panel overlay
– The top shell restored and painted “SP Grey.”
– A new power supply with locking connector (and cool operation)
– A new LCD display with adjustable brightness and a selectable red, blue, or green color LED backlight
– All new play buttons
– All new programming buttons
– All new 1/4” and MIDI jacks
– All electrolytic and tantalum capacitors replaced with high-reliability ceramic or aluminum-poly caps
– All rotary potentiometers replaced with million cycle lifetime pots and installed with new knurled black metal knobs
– All slide potentiometers replaced with 200,000 cycle lifetime sliders and installed with new slider knobs
– All original trimmers replaced with 20-turn versions and precisely calibrated
– New rubber feet
– An individualized Dave Rossum signature plaque
– A dust-proof, crush-proof, lockable Pelican™ brand case with press-and pull latches, wheels, and an extendable handle.
– Full testing and calibration by Rossum Electro-Music
35th Anniversary SP-1200s are available directly from Rossum Electro-Music for US$7500.00.
Because the number of 35th Anniversary SP-1200s built will be limited by the availability of original SP-1200s, that number is likely to be extremely small. If you are interested in purchasing one, please fill out the wait list application you’ll find at the tab at the top of this page.
The 35th Anniversary SP-1200 is solely a product of Rossum Electro-Music LLC. Neither E-mu Systems nor Creative Labs participated in its production, and cannot be held responsible for this product.
35th Anniversary SP-1200 Wait List Application
If you are interested in purchasing a 35th Anniversary SP-1200 Renovation, please fill out and submit the form below.
A few key notes:
– The price is US$7500.00.
– It includes a 1 year warranty on parts and labor.
– A place on the waiting list does not guarantee that you will eventually be able to purchase a 35th Anniversary SP-1200, as we have no way of knowing in advance exactly how many we will be able to produce. However, we will let you know when you are approaching the top the list. (Add rossum-electro.com to your email contacts list to ensure you receive emails from us.)
– If the contact information you enter below changes, be sure to let us know so we can contact you when your name comes up. We’ll confirm receipt of your new information.
– We accept SP-1200s in reasonable condition in trade towards a 35th Anniversary SP-1200. (Note, this is an actual trade-in. You will not get your specific unit back.) Customers trading in an acceptable SP-1200 will receive wait list priority. If you have one and are interested, respond below and we’ll send you all the details.*
* Please note that the value of a trade-in will be determined by its value to us in the creation of 35th Anniversary SP-1200s, not necessarily by its potential value elsewhere.